Well, as you can see in the title Shawn and I are expecting our first baby! The story begins back in April. Shawn and I had decided that we thought we were ready to try and start our own family. We went to Las Vegas at the end of April with a group of friends and when we got back we decided it was time for me to get off of my birth control. Of course we always knew that it was possible that I would get pregnant right away, but who ever really thinks that's going to happen to them? Not us lol! I had been on birth control for eight years so my doctor told me that if I were to miss a period not to freak out because it could take my body a while to get used to being off the birth control and doing some of those things on its own. So, when I missed my period in June I didn't think anything of it.
As most of you probably know, Shawn and I are very social people. We love to go out with our friends on the weekend. Well, it was the week after I had missed my period on a Thursday night and Shawn was like, 'Hey babe, maybe you should take a pregnancy test just in case you are preggo. I don't want you going out and drink if you could be pregnant.' The conversation kind of just ended at that, we didn't really talk about it anymore. The next day at work (Friday, June 17th) for whatever reason I could not quit thinking about what he had said. I thought to myself, 'maybe I should just run to Walgreen's and buy a test, just to be sure.' I knew we were going to have a very 'social' weekend. Shawn was going to a bachelor party in Kansas City. And I was going to a concert on Friday night and then going to St. Louis with my parents and brother on Saturday for a St. Louis Cardinals game. So, after a few minutes of thinking about it, at my desk at work mind you, I decided to take a quick break and run to Walgreen's. When I got back from Walgreen's, I could not get the whole pregnancy test thing out of my mind. In my head I was thinking, 'I know there's no way I'm preggo, but I really just need to know for sure.' So, don't worry, I decided to go ahead and take a test... AT WORK! I go into the private one staller bathroom that we have at work, peed on this stick and immediately I saw a + sign. I about fell off the toilet! I just sat there for a few minutes, staring at this stick, thinking, 'Surely it's going to change to a negative or something.' Well, it didn't lol. I put the test in my purse and went back to my desk. As most of you know, Shawn and I both work at the University of Phoenix. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to just send my husband in instant message and be like, 'Hey babe, guess what? I'm preggo.' So I kept it to myself. Of course I couldn't focus on anything at work! I had planned to tell Shawn on our lunch break. Then Shawn informed me that we already had lunch plans with one of our friends at work, Chris. I thought, 'Seriously? OMG, what am I going to do??? I have to keep this to myself all day???' So, Shawn, Chris, and I go to lunch. I try to eat, and I can't eat much because I'm so anxious. Let's keep in mind that when you buy a pregnancy test it comes in packs of two. When we were at the restaurant for lunch I couldn't quit thinking about the possibility of being preggo. I decided to go to the bathroom and take the other pregnancy test that I had. Don't worry, it was positive too. By this point, I was starting to believe that I really could be pregnant lol. Finally, it was the end of the work day and time for Shawn and I to leave work. We always ride together on Friday's because we work the same hours on that day. I didn't want to just tell him in the car because I thought that was too boring. So, as soon as we got home we went straight to the bedroom because he had to pack for his bachelor party he was going to. I wrapped the two positive pregnancy tests up in cute tissue paper and said, 'Babe, I have something for you.' He looked at me when I handed them to him and said, 'I think I know what that could be.' He opened them and said, 'WOW, we did it!' lol. We had our little moment and we were both so excited! Then Shawn said, 'Do you think you should take another kind of test? Just to be sure?' And I said, 'Yes! That's a great idea, I'll do that!' I got one of the Clearblue digital tests. I figured these can't be wrong, and you can't misread 'pregnant' or 'not pregnant'. I took it and it immediately read 'pregnant'. I showed it to Shawn and we both said 'Well I don't think we can misread that, looks like we're having a baby!' And don't worry, you know I documented this info with some pics! :)
Now that I had taken three tests and we knew I was pregnant, we had to just go on about our business like I wasn't because we didn't want to tell people immediately. This was really hard because Shawn was in KC with the guys all weekend and I was with friends and my immediate family all weekend. We had decided that the only person I could tell was my brother. We decided this because we knew I would need his help in St. Louis 'fake drinking' etc in front of the family. I told Travis on Saturday when we were in St. Louis on the way to Mike Shannon's before the game. He freaked out, in a good way of course! I was so excited to tell him, and he was so excited to hear the news that he was going to be an uncle! Travis and I have always been so close, he's definitely one of my best friends, and our relationship is so special. I was definitely glad that he was the first person I was able to tell. The hard part was that he had to keep it a secret. We didn't want to tell my parents until later because we didn't know when we were going to be able to tell Shawn's family. We didn't want to tell his Mom over the phone so we needed to wait until she was here, in person. It was about three weeks after we found out that we told our families.
We went to my parents house on a Tuesday night for dinner, which is pretty normal, so they didn't think anything of it. My brother was still home for the summer so he got to be there too. My Gran also came out for dinner so we got to tell her as well. We got my parents a recordable Hallmark book. We taped a few pictures that I'd taken of the positive pregnancy tests and of Shawn and I with the tests in the front of the book. As soon as they opened the book I had recorded a message for them that played. They were soooo excited! My parents have been dropping hints about 'them being ready for us to have a baby' for a while now. My family was overwhelmed with joy! Watch the video below to see their reaction. We told them they had to keep it a secret for a few days though because Nancy wasn't coming into town until Thursday.
So, on Thursday night Shawn and I went over to Shannon and Carrie's to have dinner with everyone and see Nancy. Blair's first birthday was only a few weeks away, so that really helped us with our idea to tell them we were having a baby. I went and bought a white onesie and wrote, 'I'm the BIG cousin' on the front of it in puff paint. We had it in a gift bag and told them that we had an early birthday present for Blair that we wanted her to open now. Don't worry, we got this on video too. Blair was killing us because it took her forever to open it! The Wright's were all super excited, but I think it's definitely safe to say they were shocked. :) Shawn and I didn't exactly announce that I wasn't on my birth control anymore, so my mom was the only one that knew we were 'trying'. Check out the video below to see their reaction.
We had our first doctors appointment when I was about seven weeks along. The week before that we just had to do a bunch of paperwork and stuff. My first doctors appointment was nothing too crazy. Just like my normal yearly check up. My doctor told us what I needed to be doing as far as eating, exercise, etc. Overwhelming? Uh yeah, a little bit! We had to wait about seven more weeks for our next doctors appointment. But for anyone who knows us at all knows we can't keep that excitement just between us and our immediate family for that long. Shawn and I chose to tell our friends and families the great news after we had been to the doctor for the first time. We had a lot of fun getting to tell all of these people that we love so much and we know will be huge parts of our babies life.
On Wednesday this week we went back to the doctor. This was the appointment where we got to hear the HEARTBEAT!!!! Of course we were super excited for this appointment, but a little nervous/anxious as well. My pregnancy had been great so far. I have had all of the symptoms. I was definitely sick weeks 6-12 and tired all the time, but everything had gone perfect! I laid down on the exam table and as soon as my doctor put that doppler on my stomach he found the heartbeat immediately. This was the best/craziest experience I have ever had! Who knew such a sound could make you feel so amazing?! Words cannot even explain the joy that Shawn and I were feeling during this time! The doctor said that the baby sounds excellent!
We go back to the doctor in four weeks for our ultrasound. This is when we could find out the sex of the baby, but have no fear, WE'RE NOT FINDING OUT! We're all going to have to wait until February to find out what this little pumpkin is! Shawn and I both feel like this is such a blessing from God, and by far the biggest surprise in life you can have and we don't want to ruin that. We're so excited to be surprised! This weekend I will be 14 weeks along. I have been feeling much better the past few weeks. I haven't gotten sick in two weeks, total win! Shawn and I appreciate all of your prayers and support! It's so great that Shawn and I get to share this together. He has been my rock and such a great support system throughout all of this. We are more than excited about this little pumpkin. Our due date is February 18, 2012.
WOW!!! I have been waiting paatiently for you to announce this big event on the Blog evr since Shawn called on the 4th of July!!We are both very excited and since I knew you were having some "sickie momrings, ets" I definitely had you in my thoughts & Prayers!
ReplyDeleteGigi
Thanks so much, we really appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteCONGRATS morgan!! i "followed" your blog when you gave it to me but i'm just now catching up on it and i'm excited to keep up with your new journey into mamahood!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jaime!
ReplyDelete