Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

So - my Mom and her best friend at school, Paula, that she teaches with decided to plan a Dr. Seuss event in honor of his birthday.  The event was kind of like a school carnival with a Dr. Seuss them.  Mom and Paula planned the entire thing and got everything prepared for the event.  The gymnasium was completely decked out in Dr. Seuss with numerous different Dr. Seuss games and activities for the kids to be involved in.  For food they had a birthday cake for Dr. Seuss and "Pink Ink" (a pink punch).  What really brought the event to life for me was Thing 1, Thing 2, and The Cat in the Hat making their big debut!  Everyone had such a great time.  Of course Shawn, Dad, and I ended up working at the event and helping out.  We got to do a lot of interacting with the kids.  It was a really great time.  I, of course am used to this kind of thing, because growing up as a "teachers kid" you always get the pleasure of working school events :).  I told Shawn now he knows what it's like to be a teacher's kid!

Mom and Paula didn't really know what to expect because this is the first time they have ever done anything like this at the school.  They thought they might have 100 kids come, maybe.  Well, the place was jam packed with kids and parents.  There were 170 kids from the elementary, meaning that there were only 70 kids that go to the elementary that did not attend.  All in all there was almost 400 people at the event!  400 PEOPLE!!!  I think it's safe to say that Dr. Seuss' birthday event at Greenfield Elementary was a HUGE success!

My favorite part of the night was when we first got there.  I had told Mom that I didn't think we were going to be able to make it.  Shawn and I had decided to tell her that so that we could surprise her.  We knew how hard her and Paula had been working on this event, so there's no way we would have missed it.  The look on Mom's face when she saw Shawn and I come through the doors with Dad... Priceless! :)  Way to go Mom and Paula!

My amazing family! Only one thing missing - Travis!


Dad had to get his picture with Thing 1 and Thing 2.



Green Eggs and Ham - pin the egg on the ham!

Pink Ink anyone??

Shawn and I had so much fun with The Cat in the Hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment